DCD-1L, Dermcidin derived peptide
This part comprises of a dermcidin derived antimicrobial peptide DCD-1L. Dermcidin is an antimicrobial peptide (AMP) found in primates with no homology to other know AMPs (1). It is expressed in a constitutive manner in eccrine sweat glands and secreted to epidermal surface as a part of first line of defense (2). Mature dermcidin precursor is 110 amino acid long, including signal peptide. Once antimicrobial peptide precursor is secreted with sweat to epidermal surface, 19 amino acid long signal peptide is cleaved, and it goes under further proteolytic processing leading to several dermcidin derived peptides such as DCD-1 and DCD-1L. DCD-1L is one of the most abundant form of dermcidin derived peptide. DCD-1L is a 48 amino acid long anionic peptide active against wide spectrum of bacteria including Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli, and Propionibacterium acnes (3,4). Although the precise mode of action is not entirely explored, it is thought that DCD-1L hexamers form pores on bacterial membrane leading to cell death (3).
For more details on the production and usage of this part please check the composite part page: BBa_K2342006, BBa_K2342007, BBa_K2342008
1) Schittek, B., Hipfel, R., Sauer, B., Bauer, J., Kalbacher, H., Stevanovic, S., Schirle, M., Schroeder, K., Blin, N., Meier, F. and Rassner, G & Rassner, G. (2001). Dermcidin: a novel human antibiotic peptide secreted by sweat glands. Nature immunology, 2(12).
2) Schittek, B. (2012). The multiple facets of dermcidin in cell survival and host defense. Journal of innate immunity, 4(4), 349-360.
3) Burian, M., & Schittek, B. (2015). The secrets of dermcidin action. International Journal of Medical Microbiology, 305(2), 283-286.
4) Nakano, T., Yoshino, T., Fujimura, T., Arai, S., Mukuno, A., Sato, N., & Katsuoka, K. (2015). Reduced expression of dermcidin, a peptide active against Propionibacterium acnes, in sweat of patients with acne vulgaris. Acta dermato-venereologica, 95(7), 783-786
Sequence and Features
- 10COMPATIBLE WITH RFC
- 12COMPATIBLE WITH RFC
- 21Illegal BglII site found at 84
- 23COMPATIBLE WITH RFC
- 25COMPATIBLE WITH RFC
- 1000COMPATIBLE WITH RFC